Skip to content
- One-variable displays:
Histograms (rescale with mouse drag or specify classes), Normal Probability Plots, Bar Charts and Pie Charts.
- Multiple Group Displays: Dotplots and Boxplots.
Boxplots have the option to display 95% confidence intervals.
- Two-variable displays:
Scatterplots and Lineplots.
- Multiple-variable displays:
Scatterplot Matrix, Multiple Lineplots and Rotating Plots.
Rotating plots can display equations, even during rotation.
- Special Plots:
3D Rotating Surface Plot and Cluster Dendogram.
- Non-Linear Smoothers:
Lowess, Trewess and Running Median.
- Regression Lines:
Drawn on scatterplots for the entire dataset or separate for different categories.
- Scatterplot Overlays:
Plot several variables on the same scatterplot, without sacrificing speed or interaction.
- Plot Tools and features:
- Palette of 12 plot tools that work in all plots. Plot tools
include: pointer, lasso, brush, slice, identify, refocus,
rescale, lines, rectangle selection.
- Palette of 64 colors. Colors can be assigned to represent
different categories or the rank of continuous data
- Palette of 8 plot symbols. Symbols can be assigned to
represent different categories.
- All plots link so that points selected in one plot instantly
highlight in all others. Identify any point by clicking on it.
Select subsets of points and restrict analyses to those
- Summary Statistics
for individual variables, broken down by categories and saved
as variables: mean, median, midrange, midquartile range, biweight,
standard deviation, variance, population standard deviation, standard error,
interquartile range, range, sum of squares, sum, count, skewness, kurtosis,
order statistics, rank, minimum and maximum.
- Frequency Tables and Contingency Tables
with Chi-Square and Fisher’s Exact Test, expected values, standardized residuals,
cumulative statistics and percents.
- Standard Tests and Confidence Intervals,
including z-tests, t-tests, two-sample t-tests, paired t-tests, pooled
t-tests, F-tests and a Chi-Square test of individual variances.
- Nonparametric Tests:
Sign, Paired Sign, Wilcoxon Signed Rank and Mann-Whitney U. Option to include or remove ties.
Pearson Correlation, Spearman Rank Correlation, Kendall’s Tau and Covariance.
- Simple Regression, Multiple Regression, Weighted
Regression, Polynomial Regression, Stepwise Regression.
- Full suite of diagnostic plots and statistics, all linked
to update automatically if the data are changed.
- Diagnostics include: residuals — internally and externally
studentized, leverage, predicted values, DFFits, Cook’s
distance, Hadi’s Influence and Likelihood.
- Special diagnostic plots include partial regression plots,
potential-residual plots, scatterplots of predicted values vs.
residual and normal probability plots of all diagnostic
- Drag new response and predictor variables into the
regression or remove them with mouse clicks; diagnostic
statistics and plots update as well.
- Nonlinear Regression:
- Fit virtually any function.
- Interactive visual tools help you find starting values and
test the sensitivity of your results.
- Pre-built templates include: Exponential, Power, Growth, S,
Log, Inverse, Quadratic, Cubic, or customize your own
Special one-step command to compute One-way and Multi-way, balanced or unbalanced,
ANOVA and ANOVA with interactions.
- General Linear Model:
- N-way ANOVA, ANCOVA, MANOVA, MANCOVA and Repeated
- Fixed effect, random-effect and mixed models.
- Unbalanced designs, nested designs, designs with missing
cells and weighted analyses.
- Results include a complete ANOVA table, a cell means table
and a coefficients table.
- Full set of diagnostic statistics and plots.
- Post-Hoc tests, including Scheffé, Bonferroni
and Least Significant Difference.
- Modify the data, factor type or model and recompute the
analysis in place.
- Unique overview table for multivariate models.
- Multivariate tests for MANOVA models include Pillai’s
trace, Wilk’s Lambda, Hotteling-Lawley trace and Roy’s Maximum
- Logistic Regression,
including support for discrete factors, interaction terms and unbalanced designs, likelihood,
coefficients and Wald statistics.
- Cluster Analysis
with single or complete linkage clustering and interactive dendogram.
- Principal Component Analysis:
- Saves principal axes as equation so “nearby” versions
with simple coefficients are easy to find.
- Computes a summary table and variables that hold the
eigenvalues, eigenvectors and orthogonal basis vectors.
- More than 100 functions which include rounding, arithmetic,
logical, summary, exponential, trigonometric, probabilities and
- Select simple transformations from menus or type in
arbitrary complex functions, including IF/THEN/ELSE.
- Transformed variables recompute automatically if the data
are changed, so they are always up-to-date.
- Pre-fabricated, user-controlled, dynamic transformations
include a Box-Cox transformation, Mix X and Y, Tukey’s Lambda
and Dynamic Lag.
- Unlimited number of cases and variables.
- System 7 Savvy:
shares data and selection sets with the GeoQuery® geographic information management package.
- HyperView® menus offer expert, context-sensitive
- Action language:
- Automate calculation and implement new functions beyond the
standard Data Desk menus.
- Easy-to-use, object-based programming interface.
- Many standard programming commands including: Let Y:=X, If,
If else, While, Repeat, Loop, Done, Block, Abort, Call,
Initialize, Update, Case Attributes, Random, Interface and
- Create pre-built analyses for use with other data.
- Incorporate drag and drop interface, push button controls
and notes for annotation and instruction.
- Efficient and flexible data management with relational
structure including random sampling, transposing, sorting,
ranking, generating patterned data, generating random numbers,
replicating, appending, splitting variables by group, variable
tables and scalar tables.
- Consistency and Updating:
- Windows offer to update if the underlying data are
- Allow viewing before vs. after side-by-side.
- Data Importing:
- Copy and Paste from spreadsheets, word processors, database
programs and others.
- Read ASCII text files with arbitrary delimiters and Fixed
- Combine Data Desk files: import the contents of a saved
Data Desk file into another open file.
- Combine data, analyses, and derived variables.
- Export data (as ASCII text tables), plots (in color PICT or
bitmap format) and computed results (as tab-delimited text or
- Compact datafiles dramatically reduces the size of
datafiles to make them easier to store and share with
- Graphical Control:
Customized graphical controls so you can build your own dynamic graphics.
- Full control over Font, Size and Scaling
for all plots and tables (Mac Only).
- Preferences file to save defaults.
- Selector button allows subset analysis.
- Group button allows parallel category analysis.
- HotSet variables
allow subsets and categories to be changed dynamically.
- Colors can be added to any display by group if the
variable is discrete or by rank if the variable is
- Symbols: assign any plot symbol to the selected points
in the plot. Data plotted with that symbol will show this symbol
in all other plots.
- Slide Show Presentations let you step through sets of
windows, including text windows that provide commentary and
- Notebook Windows: Record history of analysis, group
plots and text together for printing. Plots and tables placed into
notebook are time-stamped and linked to original analyses.
- Documentation: Tutorial Quickstart Guide, Handbook and
Statistics Guide written by a statistics professor. All contain
complete discussions of the statistical methods, examples (with
data included), instructions and a full index.
- Extremely fast computations and display.
- The application takes up about 7 MB of disk space.
Total installation is 20 MB.
- Data Desk 8.1 for Mac runs on OS X 10.9, 10.10, 10.11, 10.12, 10.13 and 10.14.
- Data Desk 8.1 for Windows can be used with computers running Win7, Win8 and Win10.
- Comprehensive Help system.
- Free technical support for registered users.