- One-variable displays: Histograms (rescale with mouse drag or specify classes), Normal Probability Plots, Bar Charts and Pie Charts.
- Multiple Group Displays: Dotplots and Boxplots. Boxplots have the option to display 95% confidence intervals.
- Two-variable displays: Scatterplots and Lineplots.
- Multiple-variable displays: Scatterplot Matrix, Multiple Lineplots and Rotating Plots. Rotating plots can display equations, even during rotation.
- Special Plots: 3D Rotating Surface Plot and Cluster Dendogram.
- Non-Linear Smoothers: Lowess, Trewess and Running Median.
- Regression Lines: Drawn on scatterplots for the entire dataset or separate for different categories.
- Scatterplot Overlays: Plot several variables on the same scatterplot, without sacrificing speed or interaction.
- Plot Tools and features:
- Palette of 12 plot tools that work in all plots. Plot tools include: pointer, lasso, brush, slice, identify, refocus, rescale, lines, rectangle selection.
- Palette of 64 colors. Colors can be assigned to represent different categories or the rank of continuous data values.
- Palette of 8 plot symbols. Symbols can be assigned to represent different categories.
- All plots link so that points selected in one plot instantly highlight in all others. Identify any point by clicking on it. Select subsets of points and restrict analyses to those points.
- Summary Statistics for individual variables, broken down by categories and saved as variables: mean, median, midrange, midquartile range, biweight, standard deviation, variance, population standard deviation, standard error, interquartile range, range, sum of squares, sum, count, skewness, kurtosis, order statistics, rank, minimum and maximum.
- Frequency Tables and Contingency Tables with Chi-Square and Fisher’s Exact Test, expected values, standardized residuals, cumulative statistics and percents.
- Standard Tests and Confidence Intervals, including z-tests, t-tests, two-sample t-tests, paired t-tests, pooled t-tests, F-tests and a Chi-Square test of individual variances.
- Nonparametric Tests: Sign, Paired Sign, Wilcoxon Signed Rank and Mann-Whitney U. Option to include or remove ties.
- Correlation: Pearson Correlation, Spearman Rank Correlation, Kendall’s Tau and Covariance.
- Simple Regression, Multiple Regression, Weighted Regression, Polynomial Regression, Stepwise Regression.
- Full suite of diagnostic plots and statistics, all linked to update automatically if the data are changed.
- Diagnostics include: residuals — internally and externally studentized, leverage, predicted values, DFFits, Cook’s distance, Hadi’s Influence and Likelihood.
- Special diagnostic plots include partial regression plots, potential-residual plots, scatterplots of predicted values vs. residual and normal probability plots of all diagnostic statistics.
- Drag new response and predictor variables into the regression or remove them with mouse clicks; diagnostic statistics and plots update as well.
- Nonlinear Regression:
- Fit virtually any function.
- Interactive visual tools help you find starting values and test the sensitivity of your results.
- Pre-built templates include: Exponential, Power, Growth, S, Log, Inverse, Quadratic, Cubic, or customize your own template.
- ANOVA: Special one-step command to compute One-way and Multi-way, balanced or unbalanced, ANOVA and ANOVA with interactions.
- General Linear Model:
- N-way ANOVA, ANCOVA, MANOVA, MANCOVA and Repeated Measures.
- Fixed effect, random-effect and mixed models.
- Unbalanced designs, nested designs, designs with missing cells and weighted analyses.
- Results include a complete ANOVA table, a cell means table and a coefficients table.
- Full set of diagnostic statistics and plots.
- Post-Hoc tests, including Scheffé, Bonferroni and Least Significant Difference.
- Modify the data, factor type or model and recompute the analysis in place.
- Unique overview table for multivariate models.
- Multivariate tests for MANOVA models include Pillai’s trace, Wilk’s Lambda, Hotteling-Lawley trace and Roy’s Maximum root.
- Logistic Regression, including support for discrete factors, interaction terms and unbalanced designs, likelihood, coefficients and Wald statistics.
- Cluster Analysis with single or complete linkage clustering and interactive dendogram.
- Principal Component Analysis:
- Saves principal axes as equation so “nearby” versions with simple coefficients are easy to find.
- Computes a summary table and variables that hold the eigenvalues, eigenvectors and orthogonal basis vectors.
- More than 100 functions which include rounding, arithmetic, logical, summary, exponential, trigonometric, probabilities and many others.
- Select simple transformations from menus or type in arbitrary complex functions, including IF/THEN/ELSE.
- Transformed variables recompute automatically if the data are changed, so they are always up-to-date.
- Pre-fabricated, user-controlled, dynamic transformations include a Box-Cox transformation, Mix X and Y, Tukey’s Lambda and Dynamic Lag.
- Unlimited number of cases and variables.
- System 7 Savvy: shares data and selection sets with the GeoQuery® geographic information management package.
- HyperView® menus offer expert, context-sensitive suggestions.
- Action language:
- Automate calculation and implement new functions beyond the standard Data Desk menus.
- Easy-to-use, object-based programming interface.
- Many standard programming commands including: Let Y:=X, If, If else, While, Repeat, Loop, Done, Block, Abort, Call, Initialize, Update, Case Attributes, Random, Interface and more.
- Create pre-built analyses for use with other data.
- Incorporate drag and drop interface, push button controls and notes for annotation and instruction.
- Efficient and flexible data management with relational structure including random sampling, transposing, sorting, ranking, generating patterned data, generating random numbers, replicating, appending, splitting variables by group, variable tables and scalar tables.
- Consistency and Updating:
- Windows offer to update if the underlying data are changed.
- Allow viewing before vs. after side-by-side.
- Data Importing:
- Copy and Paste from spreadsheets, word processors, database programs and others.
- Read ASCII text files with arbitrary delimiters and Fixed Format files.
- Combine Data Desk files: import the contents of a saved Data Desk file into another open file.
- Combine data, analyses, and derived variables.
- Export data (as ASCII text tables), plots (in color PICT or bitmap format) and computed results (as tab-delimited text or PICT).
- Compact datafiles dramatically reduces the size of datafiles to make them easier to store and share with others.
- Graphical Control: Customized graphical controls so you can build your own dynamic graphics.
- Full control over Font, Size and Scaling for all plots and tables (Mac Only).
- Preferences file to save defaults.
- Selector button allows subset analysis.
- Group button allows parallel category analysis.
- HotSet variables allow subsets and categories to be changed dynamically.
- Colors can be added to any display by group if the variable is discrete or by rank if the variable is continuous.
- Symbols: assign any plot symbol to the selected points in the plot. Data plotted with that symbol will show this symbol in all other plots.
- Slide Show Presentations let you step through sets of windows, including text windows that provide commentary and advice.
- Notebook Windows: Record history of analysis, group plots and text together for printing. Plots and tables placed into notebook are time-stamped and linked to original analyses.
- Documentation: Tutorial Quickstart Guide, Handbook and Statistics Guide written by a statistics professor. All contain complete discussions of the statistical methods, examples (with data included), instructions and a full index.
- Extremely fast computations and display.
- Comprehensive Help system.
- Free technical support for registered users.
Data Description, Inc.
PO Box 4555
Ithaca, NY 14850
Buy Data Desk
Try Data Desk
Data Desk Help